Family Vacation 2008

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A Story

On occasion, Michelle, Kelly and I used to play over at Michelle's house. Her mom had a jukebox, complete with 70's flashing lights, upstairs in the bedroom. This was our favorite place to play BeeGee's music. And we did. A lot. But downstairs, in the basement, was the real treasure. Sister Oviatt had an old 45 record player complete with a bunch of old records! The three of us spent hours in the basement, playing records and learning all the lyrics. This is when I first learned "Purple People Eater" (which I later found the sheet music for in my father's collection), "Witch Doctor", and most importantly "Dawn". To this day I still remember all of the words. And though I have this song on a fabulous cd (The Very Best of Franki Valli and the Four Seasons) nothing can ever replace the memory of when I first heard it. It was scratchy. It was perfect.

1 comments:

Esther said...

What's a 45 record player? ;-)