Family Vacation 2008

Thursday, January 31, 2008

cheese pizza vs. nacho salad

Some days have better stories than others.

Rachael and her two kids go to the library at the same time as Ella and I. This was a happy circumstance, not planned at all. Ella and Jacob are very excited to be at the library together, and spend the next little bit picking out movies and books together. They have to get the exact same movie, and when Ella couldn't find a dinosaur book like Jacob had, she was very sad.

Before we went to the library, Rachael told me her boys usually pick about five books each. I thought, "Wow! That's a lot of books!" At the library, I watched as Drew kept handing books to his mother. There was no way this was about five books each. But at checkout, she had thirteen articles: one book for herself, two movies, and five books for each boy. How did she do that?!!!

Ella finally lost all of the little tutu pieces. I told her she would either have to do without or chose one of her big ones. She refused to do either. Instead, she ran into my bathroom crying and pointing at my shower curtain. Oh yeah. I had forgotten than we had "washed" one little piece before she went to school.

I got to Hale Centre Theatre early for my class, and stopped in to talk to Cat. She told me how to do my hair for the upcoming audition. She also told me what to wear, and what not to wear. And after all of the fashion advice, she went into the box office and found out how many people are auditioning for the show. It's like having a personal assistant! The discussion turned to how it isn't good for everyone to sound the same. The box office staffed agreed with me. I said, "If everyone sounded like Cat, Cat wouldn't be special anymore." Cat says, "My mom says I'm always "special"" We just had to tease her about the quotes around "special".

Joshua got home from school yesterday very excited. He got to serve lunch and he told me all about it. "I counted how many students got cheese pizza for lunch today...280." "What were you serving?" "Nacho salad. And only 37 kids got the nacho salad." "So, you were bored?" "Kind of." "What did you have for lunch?" "Cheese pizza."

Some days have better stories than others.

2 comments:

Rach said...

Yes, I know. I am amazing. Of course, if Ella hadn't been there occupying Jacob, we probably would have had a few more books.

Esther said...

I don't blame Josh for getting cheese pizza . . . it's way better than the nacho salad! Especially if his school is like my school. We recently changed to "real" pizza in place of the undercooked square pieces. The kids rave about it all the time. On the other hand, the nacho salad always has very little salad, odd tasting cheese clumps, and flavorless meat stuff. Sad that I'm such a school lunch connoisseur . . .