Family Vacation 2008

Friday, January 11, 2008

Gratitude

David gave a Family Home Evening lesson on gratitude this week, and it got me thinking. Am I really grateful for everything I've been blessed with? Do I show that gratitude? Am I even aware of all that I've been given? I don't think I can answer yes to any of those questions, most especially the third one.

I read an article that stated that people who kept gratitude journals were happier than people who didn't. It's true! I kept a gratitude journal a few years back, and now, I find that even the act of re-reading what I was grateful for two years ago makes me smile. I think it's time to start again.

1. Last night we had family scripture reading. Benjamin has misplaced his scriptures, yet again, and thus, didn't have them last night. Joshua asked how much new scriptures cost, and we told him. "Darn! I can't afford that!" was his reply.

2. Again last night, when it was Benjamin's turn to read, both Sarah and Joshua were anxious to let him read from their scriptures. All my kids were willing to share. *grin*

3. Even though I added three new students in the last week or so, I managed to turn one down yesterday.

4. Audio books are a wonderful thing. I managed to clean my house and listen to a book (A Great and Terrible Beauty) all at the same time. Whoever decided to put books into audio form is a genius!

5. I actually got to bed before 10:30 last night. The kids were all bathed and in bed by 9:30, the house was quiet, there was nothing worthwhile on TV, and I was tired. And I got a good night's sleep because of it.

Five Gratitudes. Five things to keep me going if today gets rough. Five reasons to smile and say "Thank You". Try it. Being grateful is addictive...in a good way.

0 comments: