Family Vacation 2008

Friday, January 4, 2008

Popcorn

Yesterday I finished an amazing book, "The Photograph" by Virginia Ellis. I would recommend it for anyone. It deals with two women, Ruth and Maddy, who are left to deal with some pretty awful things while their men go off to fight World War II. It's told from both viewpoints, alternating from one to the other, but I was never confused about who was speaking. I do own a copy of this book, purchased at library sale for 50 cents, and if anyone wants to borrow it, let me know. Please! Borrow my book! I want to be able to discuss this book with someone!

My family, minus Sarah who was babysitting, sat down to watch our weekly episode of "Doctor Who" last night. David and I purchased the dvds of the third new season for the family, but we don't know when the fourth will be available, if ever, so we are rationing out what we've got. All the kids, even Ella, love Doctor Who. And I must admit, the idea of a time and space traveling alien is very intriguing. I think, if he were real, that I just might go. Well, at least for a trip or two. Somehow, that knowledge makes watching the series a little bit better. And so far, I'm enjoying the third season, in spite of all the negative reviews I read about it before I found it to purchase. Why do I like things other people don't? Hmmm....that's a blog for another day.

I finally watched the movie "Stardust" last night. I enjoyed it. I loved Claire Danes. I thought Michelle Pfeiffer was deliciously wicked. I was curious as to why Rupert Everett was only on for two minutes. I didn't care so much for Robert DiNero. Wow. His name is Spanish for money... Back to the point, overall I liked the movie. The dead brothers cracked me up. Tristan's evolution was well portrayed. The special effects were good. It didn't follow the book.

Stardust is one of those books that I read and really enjoyed last summer. It's a strange book to read, it doesn't flow as well as some others, it's not very fleshed out as far as a story goes, but all in all, it's a great little book. And while I could see the reasons for changing the ending, it didn't make me so happy. I liked the story the way the book ended. Why do movie producers, writers, directors, editors, think they know better than the original author?

Which brings me to "The Golden Compass." I liked the book. I really did. I found it well written and entertaining. I have heard all the furor surrounding the author's claim of "anti-Narnia" and "atheism" and I just don't care. It's fiction. Get over it. I love fantasy stories, and this one was no exception. In fact, David and the boys listened to it this last summer while I was in Hawaii. And they loved it.

The movie of "The Golden Compass" was disappointing. There were parts I liked. The children playing with their daemons, Nicole Kidman's wardrobe, Daniel Craig, maybe I should repeat that, Daniel Craig, Sam Elliot was perfectly cast as Lee Scoresby, and a bunch of other little things. Sadly, it wasn't enough to take away the fact that the movie was very long, and really quite boring. And the end was wrong. It drove my boys nuts. All they could talk about for an hour after the movie was over was how Roger was supposed to die. I tried to justify it for them, I really did, but all my excuses came out shallow and wrong.

Leave my good books alone!

I'm very afraid for the movie adaptation of "Twilight"...

0 comments: