Family Vacation 2008

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Composing

Another resolution this year has to do with my composing. I used to compose music all the time. I have a couple albums worth of music that I wrote either by myself or with a partner. The only problem is, I haven't composed, at all, in a couple of years. And I really miss it.

One of my friends, I think it was Kate, told me a story of how Michael McLean would compose a song every day, good or bad, just to get the creative juices flowing. I may have messed up all the details of that story, maybe it wasn't Kate, maybe it wasn't Michael McLean, but the point is the same. I've got to get the creativity back.

Unfortunately, I don't have time in my schedule to sit down and compose an entire song every day. The demands of kids, lessons, babysitting, and life in general are too overwhelming. But I can find a few minutes nearly every day. And thus, the resolution is:

  • Compose a new song once a week.
  • The song need not be perfect: good, bad or ugly works.
  • The song need not be religious in nature.
  • The song need not have lyrics, which makes it not a song at all, but rather a piece.
  • My week will end on Sunday.

I'm rather happy with this, except for one thing. Tomorrow is Sunday, my new song is begging for a third verse, and I am completely stuck. At least there's a new song to be begging...

1 comments:

Kate said...

It was Kate and it was Michael McLean. :-)