Family Vacation 2008

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

President's Day

How many of the six U.S. presidents named James can you name?

That was the question on our Cranium daily calendar. I named two. David named two. Sarah named one. Sarah's was one of mine. David's were completely different. I'll post the answer tomorrow.

President's Day means the kids are home from school, but David isn't home from work. It also means the library is closed, so I can't take the kids there. And there are precious few places to take kids in Utah in January that don't cost money. In the end, we were at home all day long, me alternately yelling at the kids and bribing them. (Note to self: Bribes work better.)

I started training for the "Little Red Riding Hood" bike ride. I've been worried because I injured my knee just over a week ago, and didn't know how riding a bike would impact it. Well, the range of motion needed to pedal a bike is fairly small, and I didn't hurt after I rode. (Stationary bikes are a necessity when there has been snow outside since the middle of December. I'm awfully glad I have one.)

One thing that still isn't good for my knee but I just can't seem to help: wearing high heels. I love wearing high heels! Both pairs of my boots are high heeled! And as much as I love my Skechers, I'm tired of wearing them. I even wore them to church...not this Sunday, but the Sunday before. I cannot believe I was that lady! You know. The one who wears tennis shoes to church. I had a really good reason, but still, it was so embarrassing. I have dang cute church shoes, but the heels are really high. Maybe that's why I think they are so cute.

Rehearsal last night was light years better than Saturday. For one thing, I didn't have a migraine. Secondly, we were singing all night (I almost typed sinning...David would not have been pleased about that!). Thirdly, Irving Berlin is brilliant!!!! I know this is the revised edition and someone named Peter Stone arranged the pieces, but I just love this music. When the chords are six or seven notes thick, with ninths and thirteenths spattered everywhere...that is my definition of heaven. *sigh* I may be uncertain about a lot of aspects of my performance ability, but singing parts is not one of them.

Last, but definitely not least, imagine how it would feel to come home from a fabulous rehearsal to find fresh, still slightly warm, chocolate chip cookies cooling on the counter. Sound like a pipe dream? It happened to me last night. Is everyone jealous?

4 comments:

Rach said...

Yes, definitely jealous.

Esther said...

James Madison, James Monroe, James Buchanan, James Polk, James Garfield . . . I don't know the sixth.

Esther said...

Okay, James "Jimmy" Carter. Can I have some warm cookies now? ;-)

Kate said...

Isn't president's day the one where we slap a president with a fish?
No?

Perhaps it's the one where we hug a president?
Yes?

Where's Tammy... she's a Relief Society President...