Family Vacation 2008

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

This is not my favorite holiday. It seems designed to make lonely people even lonelier, not lonely single people lonely, and people in relationships spend money. Have I left anything out?

It's not so bad now that I'm married, David did bring me flowers (which are beautiful!) and he always gets chocolates for the kids. I got him a box of chocolates, because life is like a box of chocolates, only he picked it up himself. Valentine's Day will never make my top ten list of favorties holidays, and here's a sampling of why...

1. I actually did have a Valentine in the sixth grade, or so I thought, but then I found out I wasn't so special, Jared gave great Valentines to all his friends.

2. I never officially had a Valentine again until I was married.

3. I did have a date on Valentine's Day once, but the idiot didn't ask me in advance, and then took me to dinner and a movie with my parents. Also, I found out later I wasn't the only girl he was dating at the time.

4. I got broken up with on Valentine's Day.

In response to all this merry-making, I started wearing black every February 14. It would have made a great statement, but I was a music major, and weaing all black just isn't that big of a deal. Everyone just thinks you have a concert.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I wore all black today too. :-)

Esther said...

This was my favorite post about Valentine's Day. All the other ones were too mushy. And I totally agree that Valentine's Day is not my favorite! I was going to wear black, but my green sweater was warmer for recess duty . . .;-)