Family Vacation 2008

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Deranged

When I was in college one of my professors (who quite frankly should have known better) told us that in real life no one ever burst spontaneously into song. At that moment I felt like my whole life was a farce. It's nice, after all these years, to finally have a second opinion.

"Everything always works out in musicals. In the real world, nothing ever works out and the only people who burst into song are the hopelessly deranged."

So now I'm a real person, I'm just hopelessly deranged.

Yesterday I got to see "The Drowsy Chaperone". My brother Seth gave me this music, well it feels like ages ago, and I have loved it ever since. I know it's full of stereotypes. I know the lyrics are wretched (oh monkey, monkey, monkey...you broke my heart in two!). I didn't know the acting would be so over the top, or that some of the dialogue would be quite so racy.

I don't care.

I loved it! I laughed through the entire show. And it's getting harder to find a really good laugh. I thought Jonathon Crombie was fantastic. He was so engaging, I managed to forgot that he was Gilbert Blythe. I was so excited to see a tap number. So many new shows don't tap anymore, and part of me thinks it's becoming a lost art. It's all hiphop, modern and jazz. I loved the lyrics. I can't begin to think how much imagination it would take to come up with:

I put a monkey on a pedestal
And tried to make that monkey stay
And he did, for a time
But he needed to climb
And with other monkeys play
Far away.

If you haven't guessed, I had a great time yesterday. And I think that if you ever get the chance to see "The Drowsy Chaperone" you should take it. After all, we should all burst into song like the hopelessly deranged once in a while. It's good for the soul.

1 comments:

Steph said...

It had everything I love about theater and nothing I hate: For example I hate overtures and intermissions. Were it not for the fact that Rosie had to change and Rachael had to pee, Birdie would not have had an intermission... plus how great was acting to be so bad? "I am Aldolfo" and how funny was it to see Georgia Engle spit on stage not once but MANY times and be spat upon? I laughed and laughed and then met Gilbert Blythe. Have fun on vaca; I can not wait to read all of the great adventures your family will have!!