Family Vacation 2008

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ant Problem

I have an any problem in my family room.

This is really no big surprise to me, it happens every summer, when things warm up outside and the kids start vacation, therefore spending a lot of time eating downstairs, even when I try to get to just not, or at least clean up after themselves.

Here's how I dealt with it this morning.

1. vacuum up the pests that made it into the house.
2. make a mixture of ground red pepper, ground cloves and bay leaves (broken into tiny pieces).
3. vacuum again to catch any ants that were missed the first time.
4. find the ants entrance into your home.
5. spread the spice mixture across and around this entrance (it doesn't have to be a huge amount, these are tiny creatures).
6. find their mound...if it's close to your home (mine was right behind my glass door) pour boiling water on it.

I did this a couple of summers ago (I got the idea from a book I was reading...a novel actually, where the lead character keeps seeing ghosts) and I had no further problem with ants that summer. I would refresh the pepper and cloves mixture every so often (I kept a bunch of it ready), but all in all, no ant problem that summer.

Too bad annoying people aren't so easily taken care of.

3 comments:

Rach said...

Yeah, it would be great if you could just pour boiling water on the annoying people to get rid of them! he he he

Unknown said...

In med evil times they used boiling oil to deal with those annoying invaders, but I guess assault laws prevent that now-a-days.

Steph said...

LOL!! I too agree that from time to time I would like to pour boiling water on pests in my life as well... I bet you could name a few too!