Family Vacation 2008

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Council


I was thinking about the Arts Council again yesterday (it's been on my mind a lot these last couple of weeks, probably something to do with Bye Bye Birdie opening last night) and I realized something.


Taylorsville Days is an important event.


Yes, I fully acknowledge that we need to be involved with Days. I've never fully understood how the majority of the Arts Council ended up on the Days commitee, not as regular citizens, but representing the Arts Council. It seemed so strange to me. In fact, it still seems strange to me. However, it has been drilled into me that this is our biggest fund raiser for the year and we need to put all of our effort into it.


However, I think that certain members of the Council have gotten so involved in the fund raiser that they neglect the events that we are raising funds for, like the shows. And I wonder, why can't they put as much creative energy into making our events wonderful as they do into working on the fund raiser? It feels a little stilted. As if the money itself has become an end and not a means to an end.


The point here is: go see Bye Bye Birdie! It's a fabulous production with a great staff and it deserves to be seen by as many people as possible!

1 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thank you!