Family Vacation 2008

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Curious

Civil War was depressing.

Annie Get Your Gun and Bye Bye Birdie were fun.

The Curious Savage was meaningful.

David and I went to see "The Curious Savage" at Hale Centre Theatre last night. I laughed, I cried (remember I'm a wuss!), I sighed and I laughed some more. This play is beautifully written and superbly acted. There are so many morals to take away from it, but I didn't once feel as if I was being hammered with it (i.e. Civil War). I felt as if the morals were gently placed on a table in front of me for me to ponder over and decide which one I liked the best.

Right now it's: Everyone is beautiful.

It very easily could have been: Everyone deserves respect.

Or even: Learn to listen, people are saying "I love you" all the time.

Or maybe: Greed will leave you with nothing.

*spoiler alert*
There's a moment at the end of the show when Mrs. Paddy speaks, really speaks, for the first time. Mrs. Paddy is played by one of my best friends, JaNae Cottam, and it's performed so beautifully. She struggles, she repeats what she always says, she wraps her mind and heart around it, and she says "I love you". I cried. I don't know that there were many dry eyes in the theatre at that moment.

I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to perform in "Man of La Mancha" a while ago (it's been 1 1/2 years! Wow!). Being a part of that show changed my life. It changed how I see the world around me and the people in it. I think this is a show with the same kind of opportunity. In a couple of months I'll look back on what I saw last night, and I might ponder it for a little while and realize that I learned something new.

1 comments:

Erica said...

That was an awesome show! We went to one of the opening nights and really enjoyed it! There were moments we were laughing so hard we were crying and others, like the one you mentioned, where we were just crying. I'd never heard of it before but am so glad we saw it!