Family Vacation 2008

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Luckiest

I think I am the luckiest person in the world.

How many people do you know that get to do for a living what they love? I know lots of people who get to do what they love, but only after they have worked all day at a job that they might like, they might not, but they certainly don't love.

I love teaching lessons.

I got to go to solo and ensemble festival last night to accompany for six of my students. I was so proud of them! They all sang so beautifully. They were poised and accomplished, and I have great hopes that at least a couple of them will get to move on to the state festival.

I knew I was excited to go, but the look on Spencer's face when I showed up was priceless. The festival was running about an hour ahead of schedule, so even though I was 20 minutes early for my first student, I could have played 20 minutes earlier than that. Spencer was hoping I showed up before Kelly just insisted that he accompany. "I told Mr. DeHaan you would be mad if you didn't get to accompany for me."

Spencer kicked some butt with his German song. Brian has one of the most gorgeous tenors voices I've ever heard. Luke had none of the problems with shutting off his tone that I've come to expect. DeeDee did far better than expected, especially since she had surgery on her vocal area just two weeks ago. Alyssa was sweet and engaged all throughout her song, telling the story better than I've ever heard her before. Stephanie? Well, Stephanie sang "Quando Men Vo" and when she got to the last chorus (think ABA), I nearly burst into tears. It was that beautiful. She was light, she was teasing, she was flirty, it was the best performance I had heard all night.

I get to do what I love for a living.

I must be the luckiest person in the world.

0 comments: