Family Vacation 2008

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Happy With Myself

I woke up this morning and felt skinny.

It's been so long since I've been happy with myself the way I am that at first I didn't realize what I was feeling. I waited a few moments. Nope. Feeling didn't go away. I still feel good about myself.

Why is it women are so often made to feel like less than they really are? Are we not all beautiful in our own way? Do we not all have something to offer the world?

I saw a fabulous movie last night, one that I think I'm going to see again, only next time I'm going to take Sarah with me. "Penelope" is the story of a pig face girl who is looking for someone to accept her the way she is. She spends most of the movie hiding behind one thing or another, thinking that her "deformity" makes people run screaming from her.

When will we learn to accept ourselves the way we are? When will we learn that we are beautiful?

I want my daughters to feel beautiful about themselves exactly the way they are. I want to teach them that they are so much more than just a pretty face. I hope I can help them learn that what they can offer is more than enough, and anyone who doesn't appreciate that doesn't deserve them.

I think we all could use a shot in the arm of self-confidence. Here is my spur of the moment, made up prescription for feeling better about everything.

  1. Look yourself in the mirror.
  2. Take a deep breath.
  3. Smile!
  4. Say, "I am happy with myself."
  5. Repeat as necessary.

And go see "Penelope". It's worth the eight dollars and the two hours. It really is.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your thought, but it does remind me of Stuart Smalley's Daily Affirmations from Saturday Night Live, where he looks in the mirror and says things like, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and, doggone it, people like me" or "I learned what love is from my parents. Which is that you find that one-special person who was placed on the planet just for you, and then you put them through forty years of living hell." I'm glad you didn't write that one in your blog. Love you!

Shauna said...

That is why I've learned to own my size and laugh about my fat. It doesn't mean I like it, but it means I can be happy with me!