Family Vacation 2008

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Vignettes

Do You Know Who You Are

I taught Relief Society on Sunday and truthfully, I was very nervous for this lesson. I had taken the time to read through the lesson several times, make notes in the margins and prepare my visual aids, but somehow, the finalizing of the lesson eluded me until around intermission of my Saturday matinee. That is a nerve-making situation.

The lesson went really well. At least I assumed it did because when I finished (Amen) I heard one of the ladies say, not softly at all, "That was a good lesson!"

Do You Know...Part Two

Right after the same lesson, but a little more quietly, another sister came up to me and said, "Thank you. That lesson made me feel so happy. Thank you."

I don't know if their is any greater compliment for a teacher than to hear than a simple "Thank you."

I knew who I was on Sunday...a good teacher.

Vanity Never Goes Away

For this same R.S. lesson I had taken snapshots of the sisters in my ward and displayed them collage style on a poster board. Personally, I thought all the sisters looked beautiful, but it was fascinating for me to observe them as they looked at the pictures. The younger sisters in the ward, didn't say anything, but you could tell they avoided looking at their own picture. The older sisters were very vocal about the whole experience..."Sister Cloward looks so beautiful! Oh! Look at Sister Bell! She's lovely! That looks just like Sister Whittaker! So happy!" And when they would see their own? "I look old! Oh! I never look good in pictures! That's just some old woman!"

In their defense. most of them are older. When they announced a seniors only dinner, 90% of my Relief Society has been able to attend for at least 15 years.

Oh well. I learned that vanity doesn't go away just because a face is more wrinkled than not.

Long Friendship

I wore a necklace on Sunday that was given to me when I was 13 years old by a very good friend. It's a pukka shell necklace, but not like most of that kind. Instead of little round shells, it has bigger oblong ones that used to poke me in the neck all of the time, but have since worn a little smoother.

I remember when Kelly got back from his trip to Hawaii, he had bought necklaces for all the girls. (Isn't that just like him?) Ann Chadwick and I went over to visit him and he proudly brought out all of the necklaces to show us, and let us choose which one we wanted. I didn't pick the one I have now, I liked the look of something else. Kelly took that one back and said, "I have a different one picked out for you, Patti."

Nearly 25 years later I still have that necklace. And like that necklace, our friendship still fits, and in fact, has worn a little smoother.

A Military Perspective

A bunch of cast members went out after the show last night, and I got to sit next to Derek. He promised to behave himself, which if you know Derek is a very important thing. But it was better than that. I got to talk to a Marine, about the service, on Memorial Day.

Derek described for those of us who could hear, the pride that Marines take in their appearance. He talked about the precision required in the uniform. He told us about measuring to make certain that medals and creases were in the proper place. He told us about taking tests and that a simple movement of the hand lost him points.

I would think that such a demanding job would be a burden, but as Derek talked I could tell that he loved this job. He loved the ideals behind it and the discipline required to do it. But mostly, I think he loves standing up for what he believes in and defending this country.

How's that for a Memorial Day lesson?

The Civil War

Derek also told us about his feelings on performing in the "Civil War". They are remarkably similar to mine about viewing it, although more intense.

It's important that we, as a country, don't forget those things that happened to make us what we are today. Sometimes that means seeing and hearing things that may be uncomfortable or sad. It means taking the time to learn about our history, like the Civil War, and taking away from that what lessons we can.

We were all amazed that patrons went to the theatre expecting "Civil War" to be a happy show.

Ending

My show ends in less than a week. Through the whims of my double, I don't know if I have 4 more performances or 6. It's very conflicting. We already filled out and turned in paperwork that says I have 6, but she calls me yesterday and tells me that I may only have 4. I hope she decides soon.

0 comments: