Family Vacation 2008

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Is this weird for anyone but me?

Fact: The New Kids On the Block are reunited.

Fact: They have already recorded a new album to be released this summer.

Fact: They have a full concert lineup, with sold out shows in Canada.

Fact: I am officially weirded out.

I used to love the NKOTB. I really did. And I'm not ashamed to admit it. It is part of who I was and what I did when I was younger (I even attended a concert once...it was like listening to thousands of 6 - 10 year olds scream themselves raw...oh wait! It wasn't like that at all! It was exactly that.) I have a couple of albums (cassette tapes *chagrined grin*) in a box in my basement. I have teen magazines with their pictures (although I have more of "The Outsiders", but that's a blog for another day.)

In spite of all of this, part of me was glad when they very quietly faded into the nothing ether of "has-been".

Now they are back. They are older. They think their fan base is 25 - 35. (Do they not remember the screaming 6 year olds?) They are going to ignore the Oprah appearances where they talked about excruciating anxiety attacks and never performing on stage again. What?!!!!

This is almost as unsettling as hearing that Lionel Richie has released a new album.

I suppose if their concert tour does well, or their album goes gold, it would have all been worth it for them. But, I won't be going to a concert. I don't think I'll be buying the album. I think I'd rather leave my memories as they were. It was a pleasant time in my life (except for Jeff B.), and I have no desire to revisit it.

So...

Thank you NKOTB for being a part of my teenage years, I'm going to leave it that way.

3 comments:

Shauna said...

Kev passed this same tidbit of info my way several weeks ago. My first response was, "Why?" And then I laughed my head off. As I'm sure you agree, it is called a boy band, not a middle aged men band. There's a reason these groups don't usually continue for decades. I mean, who wants to see a 40 year old man singing Hangin' Tough?!

Kate said...

Definitely weird to me. I remember NKOTB the way I remember playing with barbies - a long time ago and outdated.

Anonymous said...

NKOTB is deep in a time capsule and will remain there......along with my jelly shoes.

They always come back, but that doesn't mean that they should.