Family Vacation 2008

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And there it is

I hate me when I'm feeling sorry for myself. That cycle of "poor me" is a horrible thing, and it's hard to break. But, I indulge myself anyway. And it's been a particularly difficult month.

I got a wake up call last night.

I have a student who I haven't seen in about three weeks. He hasn't called and hasn't come. I heard a while back that his mother was ill, and I figured his extended absence had something to do with that. After all, why would he just miss lessons when State Solo/Ensemble festival is this Saturday.

Last night he called me to apologize for having missed these lessons and for not calling me. He knew it would be annoying to not hear from a student. He took all the blame for his actions, and then told me, "I don't know if you had heard, but my mom died."

Um...

What is there to say?

1 comments:

Mandee Lue said...

This hurts my heart! I'm so sorry; for him, and for you. It's hard being in your shoes, hard being in his. Thanks for posting this, as hard as I'm sure it was. :)