Family Vacation 2008

Monday, January 25, 2010

Here's Hoping

David and I recently discovered that we qualify for the $6500 tax credit for repeat home buyers. This is an amazing thing, and we're working as hard as we can to get everything finished before the deadline.

Sadly, it all hinges on things that are outside of our control.

1. We have to get all of our tax documents on time. It's really sad, but in spite of a deadline for companies to have tax documents out, many think they can postpone it, or find some kind of loophole, and frequently don't get those very important pieces of paper in the mail on time. I'm very hopeful that this year we'll get everything by Feb 1.

2. We have to receive a large enough refund. We made less money this year (unemployment does that to you) and ended up paying more in taxes. This should equal a larger refund. Right? Hope abounds!

3. We have to close by April 30, 2010. This is the tricky one. We haven't found our house yet, and even if we find a house in plenty of time, there's always a possibility that the closing date could be after the deadline. We can push for it to happen before, and I'm sure our agent would be willing to do that. The other obstacle is that if our home happens to be a bank owned foreclosure or short sale, then the bank has all sorts of control over everything. Historically, short sales are not known for their speedy closure. Still, I have to hope that this too will work out.

As January meanders to a close, I find myself more hopeful about actually owning my own home again than I have in a while. The days may be filled with bad air and winter storms, but I see sunshine everywhere!

3 comments:

Rach said...

Good luck! We are also hoping that it all goes smoothly for you.

Marilyn Barney said...

You need a "perfect brightness of hope" and we will all hope with you.

Amy Maida Wadsworth said...

I sure hope everything comes together for you!